The DocuSign Signature Appliance APIs
The DocuSign Signature Appliance (DSA) is an on-premises electronic signing appliance. It enables organizations and enterprises to digitally sign PDF and other file types. The DSA supports a variety of use cases, including isolated network and hybrid cloud configurations.
- An enterprise hybrid cloud configuration is a system workflow where an organization uses the DocuSign cloud eSignature platform to send and manage an envelope. In this configuration, recipients digitally sign the envelope’s documents using the DocuSign Signature Appliance and an X.509 key issued or managed by the DocuSign Signature Appliance. The envelope may have additional groups of signers using the DocuSign electronic signature feature and Qualified or government-issued X.509 certificates.
- In an isolated network use case, the DocuSign Signature Appliance can operate and sign documents on a corporate or local network that is isolated from the public internet. The DSA can be configured, without any connection to the Internet, to use X.509 certificates to digitally sign PDFs and data files of any type within a local network.
Both the isolated network and hybrid cloud configurations can be configured off-the-shelf with no programming or API work. In addition, DocuSign provides a full suite of APIs and SDKs that enable you to build custom solutions with the DocuSign Signature Appliance, with or without the DocuSign cloud eSignature platform.
The following sections provide an overview of the available DocuSign Signature Appliance APIs.
eSignature REST API
After the Signature Appliance has been configured for your account, envelopes sent using the eSignature REST API can allow or require signers to use the X.509 certificates provided by your Signature Appliance.
To include the Signature Appliance as an optional or required signing option for an envelope’s recipients, use the recipientSignatureProviders field in the signer object for the envelope. See the documentation for additional information.
Signature Appliance: SOAP API
The DocuSign Signature Appliance SOAP API provides the same signature, verification, and management methods as the Local API, but they’re accessed as a SOAP network service.
The SOAP API can be used from any operating system, with any software stack. See the documentation for more information.
Signature Appliance: REST API
The DocuSign Signature Appliance REST API is focused on digitally signing documents and verifying the signatures. As a networked REST API, it can also be used from any client system.
For more information see the REST API section of the DocuSign Signature Appliance API reference manual.
The DocuSign Signature Appliance enables you to say “yes” to the most difficult eSignature use cases, including:
- Digitally signing Excel files
- Digitally signing data in XML or other formats
- Supporting Qualified Signatures from any TSP/CA
- Supporting offline signing without an Internet connection.
Signature Appliance: Local API
The DocuSign Signature Appliance Local API is provided by a high-performance SDK available for the desktop and server versions of Windows. The Local API features:
- PDF, Word, Excel, and XML files can be natively signed with digital signatures.
- Files of any type can also be digitally signed. For this use case, the digital signature is provided as a separate file.
- All digital signatures are fully verifiable, regardless of file type.
- User and device management functions for the Signature Appliance are provided.
- The Local API SDK provides support for COM and .NET applications.
The Local API SDK enables much faster signing speeds than traditional networked signature APIs because part of the digital signature process is completed locally, eliminating the need to send the entire document or file to the appliance.
See the Local API documentation for more information.
Signature Appliance: Web Agent API
The DocuSign Signature Appliance Web Agent API enables Word, Excel, and PDF files to be digitally signed in their native formats. The Web Agent API includes a full User Experience (UX) layer, which enables the user to preview and then sign documents.
See the Web App documentation for more information.
DocuSign Signature Appliance (DSA)
DocuSign Signature Appliance (DSA) is a widely-adopted standard digital signature solution with millions of signers at businesses, governments, and service providers worldwide, it provides a certified-compliant, secure, digital-signature solution.
With DSA you can easily implement standard digital signatures for your signature-dependent business processes from any location, that are accessible from any computer or mobile device. DSA-signed documents provide standards compliance, long-term trust, integrity and security, and are backed by signer identity, intent, and document-record integrity. The signatures can be easily validated by anyone at any time without requiring proprietary verification software.
- On premise solution
- Add one or more digital signatures to your PDF, PDF/A, Word and Excel documents
- Upload your documents from Box or from your local computer/device
- Control the location, size and appearance of your visible signature (graphical signature, name, title, date & time, reason for signing, etc.)
- Import and save personal graphical-signatures styles to your DSA account by sketching (w/ fingers), typing (using a variety of fonts), or uploading .jpeg /.bmp images
- Control when you invoke your signature credentials and signature function
- After you apply your signature(s), simply download signed document back to Box or your local computer/device, or send document via email
- To use DSA from within Box, click on the “Add”button at left to add DSA access to your Box account. To sign your document, simply right click on it, select “More Actions”and then “Digitally Sign with DSA”.
Solutions that provide flexibility and control
DocuSign Signature Appliance & DocuSign Security Appliance
Hybrid cloud solutions
DocuSign hybrid cloud solutions, the DocuSign Signature Appliance and DocuSign Security Appliance, are designed for organizations in regulated industries such as financial services, insurance, life sciences, and the public sector.
The DocuSign Signature Appliance streamlines the signature process for your employees by taking electronic signatures into your data center.
The DocuSign Security Appliance enables you to store DocuSign eSignature encryption keys behind your firewall for additional privacy and security control.
DocuSign hybrid cloud benefits
DocuSign Signature Appliance
The DocuSign Signature Appliance is a hardware appliance for on-premises or hybrid deployment of electronic signatures and storage of digital signature certificates. It streamlines the signature process, and helps you maximize compliance with regulations.